Sunday, December 16, 2007

New Panoramas of British Columbia

It has been a long time since I posted new panoramas on the site. Mostly I have been catching up on other VR projects, such as art quality prints, and cubic versions. There have only been two big updates in the last year.

In the guidebook to the Coast and Islands of British Columbia I have added a comprehensive section on the Sunshine Coast. These photos were taken when I was up there visiting my cousins Anne and Clive at their vacation house in Powell River in August 2006. The weather was beautiful, except for the day my cousin Heather (visiting from England) and I took the all-day boat tour to Princess Louisa Inlet. That day it just poured rain, all day without letup.

The Sunshine Coast is divided into eight localities, from Lund in the north to the Langdale-Horseshoe Bay Ferries in the south. My favorites are of kayakers at Smugglers Cove (standard size or fullscreen) and Bella Beach in Sechelt (standard size or fullscreen).

The other big update is actually a complete makeover. I originally covered the city of Vancouver, British Columbia very early on, when I was still using film. I can do much better now, with a digital SLR, plus I can do cubics easily, important for a city with so many tall buildings. So I spent three days there in August 2006 and walked all over the city.

I stayed at the Lonsdale Quay Hotel in North Vancouver and took the Seabus ferry over to Vancouver proper each day - much more efficient than dealing with my car in the city. The hotel was a lively, interesting place, with a mall and food hall underneath (standard size or fullscreen), several restaurants, and great views across the water (standard size or fullscreen). Recommended.

The new VR panoramas of Vancouver are in the guidebook to Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. It is divided into nine localities, starting with the Western shoreline of Stanley Park and progressing south and east to Gastown. There are also two new localities north of the city: Horseshoe Bay and North Vancouver.

My favorites are of the bagpiper at Brockton Point (standard size or fullscreen) (which I used as my Best of 2006 on the World Wide Panorama site) and inside the amazing new Vancouver Public Library (standard size or fullscreen).

I was back in Vancouver in August 2007 for my niece Sarah's wedding, but was too busy to do much photography. All I managed was an hour or so at Queen Elizabeth Park.

I am not done with Vancouver yet. There are still some important neighborhoods to cover (Chinatown, False Bay, Granville Island, UBC), and things are changing fast, as they prepare to host the Winter Olympics in 2008.

No comments: